Thursday, June 11, 2015

Week 7 Review

This past week we presented on a specific social media website in groups, and were able to view the other groups' presentations. This was really good because it gave me a perspective on the class through Dr. Kinghorn's eyes. It is difficult to get up there, use the outdated school technology, and make sure everything runs smoothly and is educational yet also entertaining. I have increased respect for certain!

One thing that we've been talking a lot about is online shaming. I think that it is terrible for parents to shame their kids online... this take public embarrassment to a new and unnecessary level. Hearing about the suicides that occurred after online shaming was very sad.

Another thing we talked about was sharing TMI (too much information). This just makes me want to stop sharing anything online, because I came to the conclusion that it is all for attention. On the other hand, now I see social media in a new light. I see it is an opportunity for my voice to be heard. When other people post informative things, I am more likely to read it. Because of what I've watched in this class, when I see something online now I have more of an understanding of why it's there, what it is, and it's impact on myself and others.

It's interesting to learn about how because it is free, we are not the consumers but what is being advertised. This makes me especially wary to share things online. Also I like the idea that the consumer has changed but sometimes the advertisements have not. This is because often I really feel like advertisements have no effect on me anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment