Friday, June 5, 2015

Week 6 Review

This week was so fun! I loved talking about viral videos and watching them in class. It is interesting to learn what makes a video go viral. One interesting thing we did was compare Gandhi's work to that of a young Utah Mormon. They both fasted in order to try to make something happen. The question Dr. Kinghorn asked us was what made one effective but the other not so much? The answer lies in their support network. Gandhi had already done things that had gained him many followers and people who cared about him. When Gandhi fasted, it had a big effect. When young Mr. Meacham fasted, nobody cared except maybe his family, fiancee, and a few close friends.

Read more here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/utah-man-vows-fast-utah-bans-gay-marriage-article-1.1565872

Another thing I thought was very useful to watch was the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWK83S1QB0

It really made me think about what I think Social Media is doing to society. Is it a fully bad thing? Children learn by using ipads and such, and I can save a lot of time through various apps on my mobile device. I even have an app that will record all my nutrition for the day...all I have to do is scan the label on my food and it will tell me how much of each vitamin I am consuming. I can use MAPS to find my way places, and I don't have to worry about looking up directions beforehand.

However, the toss-up with this is the fact that in addition to saving time, these devices contain social media. The common consensus seems to be that social media, while useful in moderation, can turn out to be a big waste of time.

I feel ever more conflicted about this. What should I do for my children? If I keep them away from technology, they will become social recluses. Even when they are with others, they will not be able to fit in because that's what a big part of our lives technology is. So if anything, I feel sort of distressed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment