Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Week 3 Reflection

We talked about the order of order--basically the solution for too much information that was presented in the book "Everything is Miscellaneous". According to Weinberger, the solutions are (1) Physical ordering, (2) a card catalog, and (3) digital. We talked about how us or kids these days are often taken straight to #3, they only know about digital organization. This is really true. To me, digital organization is all I want to do because it is quicker and I am more familiar with it.

I really loved how we learned about Electracy as well. "Electracy focuses on the individual state of mind within which knowing takes place." This quote really stood out to me because I didn't realize what it meant before.

Meta cognition is thinking about thinking. It's almost like reflecting on how you used to think about the world, and comparing that to how you currently think. Then you can consider what you may think about in the future, or compare your thoughts to future thoughts. I am so glad to have learned this term because I think I practice Meta Cognition all the time!

We talked about how our phones are considered an extension of our minds. We can keep knowledge on our phones that we don't have to keep in our heads. For example, we can take a picture of something so we don't have to remember it. Also we could use our phone to store numbers, or just know that we can look up information in the future so we don't have to commit that information to memory now.

"The best camera you have is the one you always have with you." So true! I am currently in Digital Tools class, so taking Psychology of Social Media goes right along with my photoshop and illustrator class. It is great to have them at the same time.

One other thing we went over in class was Crowd Accelerated Innovation. There are three main points:
1. Crowd (there needs to be people that can connect with it or there's no point in your video)
2. Light (you need to be seen, you need an audience). When you get in the "spotlight" it allows the video to be in a position where it can take off and become viral.
3. Desire (people need to want to watch it).

One article I really loved that we watched was http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/field-museum-emily-graslie-brain-scoop-youtube/Content?oid=12236428.  It talks about how a girl basically became Bill the Science Guy. We discussed how things like this happen. I really feel like it all has to do with personality more than anything else.

Learning that viral is defined by something that grows exponentially really helped me to understand it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment